Crapbox!


Sunday, August 28, 2005

What I learnt today..

I realise that, being ignorant of something does not mean that thing does not exist. It still exists. But very often, we think it doesn't exist because we don't know about it! Such is the irony of life.

Let me give you an example.

Normally on Sundays, I attend my youth cell group at 11 before going for the youth service, speedlight, at my church. Today, our cell group went for the adult service at 11 a.m. And that was when I found out that Jonathan actually attends the same church as me - Lighthouse, just that he does not go for the youth service. What a coincidence.

I also realise that normally, one would trust oneself the most. Whatever you see, you hear and you experience moulds your own beliefs. Sometimes we do fall into the trap where we think what we know is the absolute truth. But yet, if we think about it, we do realise that our knowledge is not even 1% of all the knowledge in this world.

But as we learn more and more about this world, we realise how ignorant we have once been. For example, we learn there's actually people crazy enough to bomb themselves and kill others along with themselves. We learn that even though you may be the C.E.O of a charitable organisation, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are living a frugal lifestyle, focused on helping the needy. We frown upon such people. But how many of us, when we have the ability to earn a 6-figure pay, will settle for a 4-figure pay, so as to help society?

Then, I want to ask this provocative question.
Does it mean that if God is not real in your life, God does not exist? I challenge you to find out.

On to the next thing I learnt today. Again something which is very common-sense,but often neglected. It was brought up by my pastor today.

When we hear of accidents happening, like someone getting knocked down by a car, someone getting stuck by lightning, people getting bombed.. very often we don't think that it would happen to us. Very often, we realise that there's actualy this possiblity that today we would get into a freak accident and die, but we normally don't dwell so much on it. Well, if you do, you'd be paranoid. But very often, we dream of becoming millionaires. When we gamble, or IF we gamble, we always think about winning, not about losing. We fantasize that we will go on to win lots of money.

Yes, more often than not, we think of the good things that could happen to us.

So, this day, think about all the bad things that could have happened to you. All the things that could have not gone your way.

I thank God that I am still alive, healthy and receving so many opportunities in a primier educational institution in such a safe place as Singapore.

I have the opportunities to gain a good job, or maybe a very good job. Perhaps even gain wealth, power and many, many material possesions.

But surely, there is more to life than this? I am still searching, I am still seeking...

-wilbur

No comments: